Often, you see a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation with numbered slides. It’s the identical as numbering pages in a Microsoft Phrase doc. Just like Phrase, there is perhaps slides that you simply don’t wish to quantity, such because the title slide. PowerPoint’s slide-numbering function is simple to implement, however it’s severely restricted.
On this tutorial, I’ll present you the way to add slide numbers to a presentation. Then, I’ll present you the way to take away numbers from particular slides and a trick that permits you to restart slide numbering on the second slide, however that’s the one time it really works.
SEE: Home windows, Linux, and Mac instructions everybody must know (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
I’m utilizing Microsoft 365 on a Home windows 10 64-bit system, however you need to use older variations of PowerPoint. PowerPoint for the online helps slide numbers. For those who’re working with a slide present aside from the default, add slide numbering to the grasp present slides. The method is identical.
Easy methods to add slide numbers in PowerPoint
Including slide numbers to a presentation is easy. Just like Phrase, you’ll add a area that shows the present slide quantity. As a result of it’s a area, it updates while you transfer, delete and add slides. Let’s begin by including slide numbers to all of the slides in a easy presentation:
- After including a slide, click on the Insert tab.
- Click on Header & Footer within the Textual content group so as to add the numbers to the footer.
- Within the ensuing dialog, click on the Slide tab if essential.
- Verify the Slide Quantity possibility (Determine A).
- Click on Apply to All. Discover that there’s additionally an Apply button. Click on Apply to insert the web page quantity solely on the chosen slide(s).
As you possibly can see in Determine B, the slide quantity is within the bottom-right nook.
Enabling slide numbering for one or all slides is simple. Now, let’s flip it off for a selected web page.
Easy methods to disable slide numbering in PowerPoint
When you’ve enabled numbering for all slides, you would possibly wish to disable it for a web page or two. As an illustration, this presentation has a title web page — most do. As a rule, title slides don’t show a quantity, so let’s flip numbering off for the title slide as follows:
- Click on the Insert tab after which click on Header & Footer within the Textual content group.
- Within the ensuing dialog, verify the Don’t Present On Title Slide possibility (Determine C).
- If the title web page is presently chosen, click on Apply. If you choose one other slide, click on Apply All.
That was straightforward, however what if you wish to disable numbering for a slide aside from the title slide? Once more, the answer is easy:
- Choose the slide in query. On this case, we’ll use slide 2.
- Click on Insert after which click on Header & Footer within the Textual content group.
- Within the ensuing dialog, uncheck the Slide Quantity possibility.
- Click on Apply to disable numbering for less than the chosen slide, the second slide.
This straightforward presentation has 4 slides. The primary two don’t have any slide numbers, and slides 3 and 4 do. You would possibly wish to think about restarting the web page numbering at slide 3. As an alternative of displaying 3, you may want it to show 1. To one of the best of my data, you possibly can’t restart slide numbering. Nevertheless, I do have a fast trick that may work solely while you’ve turned numbering off for the primary slide.
You’ll be able to reset the beginning slide quantity, and PowerPoint will apply it to your complete presentation. For those who begin with 4 slides and disable numbering for the primary slide, you possibly can reset that beginning quantity to 0. Consequently, slide 1 is 0, slide 2 is 1 and so forth. To reset the beginning quantity to 0, do the next:
- Click on the Design tab.
- Within the Customise group, click on Slide Dimension.
- From the dropdown, select Customized Slide Dimension.
- Within the ensuing dialog, change the Quantity Slides From setting from 1 to 0 (Determine D).
- Click on OK.
At this level, slide 3 shows 2 and slide 4 shows 3. The one approach to repair that is to allow numbering for slide 2 as follows:
- Choose slide 2 — the true slide 2.
- Click on the Insert tab.
- Select Header & Footer within the Textual content group.
- Within the ensuing dialog, verify Slide Quantity.
- Click on OK.
Determine E reveals the slides and numbering. The title slide shows no quantity. The second slide shows 1. Slide 3 shows 2 and slide 4 shows 3. The one time this works is when the primary slide doesn’t show a quantity and also you reset the beginning quantity to 0.
You’ll be able to reset the beginning slide quantity to a bigger quantity. You’ll accomplish that when combining totally different shows. As an illustration, you would possibly run the primary present with slides 1 via 10 after which run a second, from slides 11 to 25.
There are third-party merchandise obtainable that help you implement extra complicated slide numbering schemes in PowerPoint.